Thursday, December 1, 2016

That Took FOREVER!

I posted my work schedule, so you all know I don't have any free time during the week. And I've posted about my apprehension about leaving the house as a twin mom on the weekends. As such, getting things done takes FOREVER. I recently Tweeted on my public Twitter that being a mom makes me feel mediocre because from the time I have a thought to the time I complete an action is about three weeks.

Below I charted it out this one task in particular. Pre-babies, I could have gotten thi sdone in one day, or worse case scenario, one weekend. Now, it's more like a month or 5 weeks. It feels horrible to a Type A person like me.

10/22 - A friend in Chicago gave my mom a bag of winter clothes for my girls.
10/24 -  My mom ships the clothes to me
10/26 - I receive the clothes and realize there are too many cardigans, jackets and snow suits to fit in the babies' three Ikea drawers
10/30 - Find this on Pinterest as a way to store things in my small home.
10/30 - Buy the Ikea Lack shelf on Ikea.com
11/08 - Buy 25 hot pink velvet hangers for this shelf that is not up yet 
11/09 - Receive the Ikea Lack Shelf (Ikea shipping is slow as hell, but it beats trying to pack up twins and go to Ikea and/or paying someone to watch my kids, so I can go to Ikea)
11/10 - Receive hangers from Amazon 
11/12 - Order the Ikea rails from Amazon (Ikea doesn't make it anymore and it was hard to find for some reason. I probably also forgot that I needed the rails, once I had ordered the shelf.)
11/14 - Received the Ikea rails
11/18 - Borrow a drill from Paris (someone buy me a drill for Christmas, please)
11/20 - Attempt to put up this shelf and realize I need a studfinder AND a screw set. Ikea doesn't send the screws because "walls are different." I try to order a studfinder for pickup at Home Depot. They're all out, so I order a studfinder on Amazon (the one Home Depot said was most popular)
11/22 - Receive studfinder
11/25 - (Black Friday) - Attached the rails to the shelf, attempted to find a stud with our stud finder. Didn't find anything. 
11/26 - Asked building maintenance if they had a more expensive, more powerful stud finder. They said they would come up and take a look, then they said that's not really in their job description, so just hammer the wall. (We are not DIYers, we need an actual tool to find a stud) Broke down and got a handyman on Thumbtack.com
11/27 - The handyman told us that our walls are plaster. THAT would explain why the studfinder didn't work. Finally got this friggin shelf up! I'm so proud of it!!



No comments: