Thursday, November 24, 2016

I'm Sleeping Again

This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for SLEEP! 

On the night of November 18, 2016, Lahna and Joy slept from 9:30 p.m. to 6:30 a.m. and they've continued to do it every nigh since. MY LIFE IS ABOUT TO GET BETTER! I had SO much more energy after sleeping through the night and NOT having to pump or nurse in the middle of the night. I wasn't dead dog tired when they took their daily naps. I washed and folded laundry in the same day. I washed and twisted my hair and washed bottles and was NOT a zombie doing it all.

Moreover, I was able to give them a better version of myself while they were awake.

They are also taking two long naps every day, so when I'm home on the weekends with them, I can get things done (that's how I'm writing this blog) for about 2 hours during the day. It feels great.

We had to sleep train them to get this to work. The hardest part was convincing my boyfriend that they will not starve or die if we let them cry in the middle of the night. After we got over that hump and a couple of torturous nights listen to them cry when they would have been getting a feeding and BOOM: babies sleep all night.

It SUCKS to hear your baby cry and not go get them. This is like the beginning of tough love. So many things that are good for the kids seem to hurt them, shots, getting their ears pierced, sleep training.

We probably won't spank them, but I can still use the black mama proverbs "This hurts me more than it hurts you" when it comes to all these other things.

Parenting requires some serious mental, physical and emotional muscle flexing.

I'm very proud to have hit this milestone with the twins!