Thursday, August 4, 2016

Babies make the world happy

When I was dealing with the horrors of pregnancy and then reading the Facebook statuses of exhausted parents everywhere, I couldn't for the life of me understand why people keep choosing to have kids. Like our lives would be so much easier if we just stopped procreating.

Then I had my babies. I think I've mentioned before that me announcing my pregnancy to certain family members and friends made them so happy. And some shared with me that they were going through horrid things in their lives and my baby news made it better. Wait, what? LOL!

But now that my sweetie pies are here, I get it. The world is in complete disarray.
  •  There's a 50/50 chance that an outwardly racist white man will be our next President. As a black woman. 
  • I am literally scared of the police in every city in America. There is no place, not in a car, not in a home, not on a train, not on a plane that I am safe from the police. (I think I just wrote a Dr. Seuss book about police brutality.) 
  • I am afraid of men. Not MY man, but men are still killing women in domestic situations and for the most part, nothing is happening about it. When a woman's throat got slashed on the train because she said she didn't want to be in a relationship with her current boyfriend, the news reports that followed shared that "This was an isolated incident." "The CTA is mostly safe." It didn't share a hotline for domestic violence victims. It gave incidences of violence in the city. It didn't give incidences of women murdered at the hands of their partners. It's like that woman didn't exist in the news story. I hated it. 
  • People are killing police. 
  • Police are using robots to kill suspects. Not convicted felons, suspects. 
  • People are killing clubgoers. I could also write this as people are killing the LGBQT community. 
Death and chaos are all around us. But at 3:20 and 3:32 p.m. on Tuesday, April 12th, I gave birth to new life. I brought Peace (Lahna) and Joy into the world. When I am with them they take up every brain cell I have. I don't have time to care that the world is falling apart. Their presence consumes me. They are my world now.

And everyone who so much as sees a picture of my Peace and my Joy is INSTANTLY transformed from a citizen bogged down by the weight of this world to an admirer of beauty and innocence.

THAT'S why people have babies. To change the world. I get it now and appreciate it so much. 

No comments: