Tuesday, July 5, 2016

New Routine

At some point in my babies short lives, they decided that they didn't want to drink from bottles. This makes my life hard because I have to be with them every minute of every day in the case that they get hungry. This makes any caretakers lives hard because they have to deal with hungry, unhappy babies when I inevitably have to leave the apartment.

So yesterday, exactly one month before I go back to work, we decided to start training them to take the bottle. I stayed in the apartment yesterday while it happened and it took 3 attempts. So they skipped two feedings exhausted and just went back to sleep, then the third time they took the bottle. A few things:

1. I knew exclusively nursing was draining, but I have SO MUCH more energy yesterday. Remember I said I could only do 1 thing a day? Well yesterday I did like 3 things and was not exhausted. Although I felt HORRIBLE listening to them cry for me, I think it will be positive

2. A friend counseled me to leave the house when they need to take a bottle. So now, I'm going ot shower and leave the house every day. This is a precursor to going back to work. It's also helping me tackle my massive to-do list and feel like a regular person.

3. I'm so glad we decided to do this while my mom is still here. Their cries are shrill and heart wrenching. If a nanny or someone was going through this process with me, I would swear they were hurting my babies. AND my mom makes me stick to NOT feeding them until they take the bottle. I was like that's enough, I'm feeding them. And she's like go back in your bedroom, it'll be ok. :(

4. Babies are smart as hell. The routine is the first feeding after 12 p.m. each day is a bottle feed, then they can get back to the breast. We'll increase it to two and eventually three when I go back to work. They usually feed for between 10 minutes and 30 minutes every 1 to 2 hours. (Seriously, they do what they want.) So today, they woke up from a nap at 11:30 and nursed for 60 MINUTES! These babies were storing milk for the afternoon stretch. I can't help but to laugh at it.

5. I have no life. My mom told me to go do something yesterday and I'm like do what? Everything I do revolves around them. I couldn't think of a personal errand to run. Then today, I have a list of things to do outside of the house (the biggest thing on the list is research daycare). I stop in H&M, pass all the grown folks stuff and go directly to the kids section. What can I say, I'm a mom.

No comments: