Monday, May 9, 2016

Ways To Traumatize Offspring

I also joke (but really I'm serious) that it's the responsibility of parents to mess up their kids. It doesn't matter the type of home or situation, kids will pick up SOMETHING negative and deal with that for the rest of their lives. If they're fortunate, their health insurance will cover the therapy sessions.

Here are some examples:

- A deadbeat dad
- A father who's a pastor and has to share his family time with the congregation
- A parent who cheats on a devouted spouse
- Being extremely rich
- Being extremely poor
- A parent who can't say "I love you"
- A parent who smothers their child, making their "love" a burden

Parents are flawed people. We (ha! I said we. I'm a parent.)... We have issues and our kids will success sometimes due to our issues, sometimes in spite of our issues.

Yesterday, I realized that I'm going to be guilt trip mom. I was having a conversation with Lahna after I nursed her and she starting SCREAMING for no reason.

"What's the problem? You're diaper's dry. You just finished eating. What did I do to make you start crying like this? I fed you. I changed you. I clothed you. I provided for you. I! GAVE! YOU! LIFE! and this is how you repay me? This screaming? These unnecessary outbursts? This is what we're doing right now?"

It was clearly an unproductive conversation as she gives zero damns about being reasonable at this juncture in her short life.

But I was laughing and how quickly I took the cries of a 3-week old personally.

I wonder how old they'll be before they ignore my guilt trips or tune me out (the way so many of us tune out the flaws/issues of our own parents). Or how many therapy sessions it'll take for her to recognize this in me and work on not taking it personally herself.

Whatever. At least she's not hungry.

No comments: