Friday, April 29, 2016

Technology: Mommy Help or Hindrance?

I'm not sure if our moms had it easier or harder when it comes to raising us WITHOUT technology.

On the one hand, I have the following:

- Unlimited ideas for showers, nurseries, pre- and postpartum tips via Pinterest and the interwebs
- Online support groups for everything from twin moms to breastfeeding to swapping out baby goods
- Camera phones - I can capture every moment
- Online shopping, grocery delivery, food delivery, laundry pick-up, all of the things that make life with two babies a bit more convenient.
- My phone to keep me company during late night feedings. The girls can nurse up to an hour each and if they're not too squirmy, I surf Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, watch Hulu and listen to podcasts during that time.

On the other hand, I have the following:
- A constant buzzing on my phone from well wishers. This is a blessing (please don't stop checking on me, I need you all), but it requires me to respond. I wonder if my mom had to call as many people as I have to text and or email about our health and wellbeing.
- Camera phones - Everyone feels entitled to photos. I'm not ready to post anything to social media and I don't feel obligated to. I think everyone's just doing what's normal for others and expect you to fall in line. No one would even know what falling in line was if this was 1980, but in 2016 the internet has made the oversharing CRAZY!
- Online shopping, grocery delivery, food delivery, laundry pick-up - If I didn't have these things, I imagine I could delegate these responsibilities to another human and therefore get them off of my brain. Sometimes, even calling to get the laundry picked up is too much to remember.
- My phone. Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing the children a disservice by multitasking while they're hanging off my breasts. I'm going to ask my mom if she read magazines or chit chatted on the phone while she was nursing us. No way she just sat their staring at our greedy faces.

I'm sure there are other things, but [mommy brain], I can't remember. What do you think is cool about parenting with technology in 2016? What could be easier if we went back old school?

No comments: