Friday, March 18, 2016

I'm Grateful

The older I get, the more I realize that NOTHING can be taken for granted. Here are some things recent events and life experiences have made me even more thankful for.

Clean Water - Because Flint.

My mom - Going through this pregnancy has made me so much closer to my mom. She has a wealth of information I didn't even know she had. And I'm convinced no one cares about these twin girls I'm cooking more than she does. To see her light up with joy when anyone so much as mentions the twins has really been a light in my life. And she's been so encouraging through what's been a physically miserable experience for me. I appreciate her so much.

My grandmas - Both of my grandfathers have passed. (This is another reason it's SO important to maintain healthy relationships with other women because even when you find a man to spend the rest of your life with, his life may still end 20 years ahead of yours. It's sad, but true.)

I digress.

My grandmothers are both pretty young as far as grandmas go. They have been truly overwhelmed by the news of the twins (in their own special ways). From the tears and the calls and they way they just stare at me in what looks like a mix of pride, shock and awe when they see my pregnant belly... it feels so good to be able to share this experience with them.

My mom's mom left a voicemail for me today. She called on her CELL phone because she doesn't have "long distance" on her home phone (probably still a rotary dial). She left her callback number on my voicemail... Like she hasn't had the same number for over 50 years. She is cute as pie, y'all and

It's overwhelming to think that one day I will only have the photos and the memories of these moments and not the actual people to hold onto. I seriously cherish every moment, every call, every voicemail, every stare, every hug.

And now I can't stop crying. Damn hormones. 

What are you grateful for this week?

1 comment:

Sonia Brown said...

I love gratitude posts. It reminds us just how different things could be.
I talk about the pricelessness of "Grown Women" all the time. The knowledge and experience they have is amazing. Even things you think they don't know or understand they do. I lost my mom & both grandmothers and I feel it everyday.