Saturday, December 26, 2015

September 26: Three Months Later

Around mid-September a Mesothelioma advocate emailed and asked if I would share some info with my readers about this rare cancer. I said yes, then life happened.

Mesothelioma Awareness Day was September 26th. I am two months late with the info, but I wanted to keep my work and better late than never.

Here are some facts you should know: 

Mesothelioma is a cancer caused by exposure to asbestos fibers. Asbestos is a carcinogen that was used widespread until with 1970's, but is still not banned in the U.S. and Canada today. Once diagnosed with mesothelioma, most patients are given about 10-15 months to live.
 
According to nyc.gov, asbestos can be found in:
  • building materials such as fireproofing products, pipe and boiler insulation, roofing materials, ceiling and floor tiles, and asbestos cement products
  • automobile brakes and clutches, and other friction products
  • heat-resistant and corrosion-resistant fabrics and materials.

The best way to prevent mesothelioma is to have any asbestos abatement carried out by a licensed professional. Note that abatement doesn't always remove the asbestos, it just makes it such that it can't emit fibers that could be harmful.

It's pretty scary to think that the air outside of my home is polluted, but the air inside of my home could be polluted as well. But licensed professionals can help to make sure the air we all breathe is safe.

Click on the infographic below for more details or for more info and resources visit www.mesothelioma.com or nyc.gov. 


No comments: