Saturday, September 12, 2015

Top 10 Benefits of Exercising in NYC

I have been struggling to commit to a workout routine since April. With all of the life changes, losing my job, looking for a job LIKE it was my job, moving to NY and all of the travel in between, I gave myself lots of [well deserved] breaks.

Now that I've been a New York resident for almost four months it's time to get back in the swing of things. I'm currently doing a #30for30. The benefits of exercise are the same every time, but you never remember or appreciate it until you're back on the grind.

Below are the top 10 benefits of working out in New York.

10. I'm more efficient at work. Since I know I have to leave to make a class or in time to workout and still have some evening less, I somehow get the same amount of work done in fewer hours.

9. It's a social activity. I've already seen a couple of coworkers at the gym and I'm thinking about taking classes with friends, which is nice.

8. I have more energy.

7. Mood booster. It makes me happy (afterwards, not during.) Shout out to endorphins.

6. Self-esteem. I feel better about myself when I know I am actively contributing to making me better.

5. Eating habits. You all know I eat what I want, but when I'm exercising my body craves healthier food. AND I know that if I eat a burger and fries that it's going to feel like death on the elliptical. I'm all about these fruits, veggies and lean meats lately.

4. NYC warmup. I do SO MUCH walking in NYC. I can't describe to you how big this city is and how folks will just walk 1 or 2 miles like it's nothing to get to the next destination. All of my gym workouts are really just warmups for days and nights in NYC, which is great.

3. Exploring my hood. Before I broke down and got a gym membership, I ran a couple of time (like 2) and found Marcus Garvey park. Yes, it smells like urine and there's trash and homeless folks everywhere, but there are also steps, a track and shaded areas, so perfect for a city run.

2. Support. Our #TeamFit Facebook group has turned into a GroupMe and it's awesome. People share photos, running maps, fitness routine and most of all we cheer each other on in real time. So now I'm an active participant instead of a bystander and it feels good.

1. Cuties at the gym. Yes, sir. Please do pull-ups in front of me. I'll just be sitting here swooning!

No comments: