Friday, June 12, 2015

NYC Observations: Never Pay Full Price

Now, I don't know what trust fund babies do. Or people who are using company dollars, but every native New Yorker I've met is all about finding the deal. They don't pay to get into anything. They have hook-ups for museums, goods and services. They have discounts on shows, shoes and clothing. They read their dinner receipts like mortgage contracts. They just think differently when it comes to money.

People are always talking about how much it costs to live here, but if you find the right hookups and happy hours, you can make out like a bandit in this city. If you decide to live in the outer boroughs, don't have a car note, car insurance or gas fees and are diligent about your spending, you could win in New York. 

It always was interesting to me that the people most concerned about "cost of living" were the people who lived in places that were cheap as hell. Both sets of people are "saving" money, either 1) Because they don't make a lot and have to make due (medium size city folks) and 2) because rent costs a lot and they have to make due (big city folks).

After living in a medium sized city and the largest city in the U.S. I think working folks in our country have more in common with each other than they realize.

Again, I'm not talking about old money. I don't know anything about old money. I would like to hop, skip, jump or fall into some old money, but until that happens, I'm just talking about middle class folks. I imagine it's difficult to live in poverty anywhere and I imagine it's easy to be wealthy anywhere.

But what do I know?

No comments: