Monday, June 1, 2015

It's Really Real... But Also, Healthcare.

Originally written on 5/25

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just finished making my benefits elections. I also canceled Obamacare, so that I don't have coverage from two places at the same time. You'd think double coverage would help, but it actually hurts and  the insurance companies are both trying to NOT pay your bills.

Anywo, I still can't really believe I live in New York, but I guess I better act like it.

ALSO, let me take this time to plug Obamacare. You cannot afford to NOT have health insurance in 2015. Not only is there a tax penalty, but it costs money to be sick. It's cheaper to be insured.

I got Obamacare IMMEDIATELY after getting laid off. Fortunately for me, open enrollment was happening until February 15. I'm not sure how it would have worked if I'd gotten laid off after February 15. I'm pretty sure open enrollment is coming up again in October 2015. If you don't have insurance, please strongly consider getting it.

Also, you may have heard that it's hard to enroll. It's not exactly a cakewalk (lots of steps), but if you have any amount of sense you can do it. If you've ever mailed a package with the USPS, you can do it. And if you DON'T have any sense, you can call and the people on the phone are VERY helpful.

So, again, I'm telling you GET HEALTH INSURANCE. And I'm not saying that because I have a job. When I didn't have a job, I paid the 5 for Obamacare because getting sick and not being able to pay for life-saving medication is way more expensive than paying for medical care every month. If you can afford a cell phone and/or any form of entertainment (concerts, cable, netflix, hulu plus, HBO Go, Showtime and/or the strip club), then you can afford health insurance.

https://www.healthcare.gov/ DO IT NOW!


No comments: