Saturday, May 2, 2015

Unemployment Chronicles

Originally written on 2/19/15.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have good days and I have bad days. Today is a good day. I woke up ready to look for jobs and I had a sensible breakfast and I'm going to workout later.

Yesterday was a pretty sucky day. I slept until about noon. I forgot to eat and was knocked over by hunger at about 2 p.m. en route to my best friend's house.

I'm visiting Chicago unexpectedly and I don't have snowboots, so en route via CTA to my bestie's house I had to walk almost a mile and I think I almost froze to death. My poor big toes.

I also had THEE WORST anxiety yesterday. My phone rang and I thought it was a potential employer and I was in the worst mood, so I didn't answer the phone. Then they didn't leave a message and I went through every possible scenario in my head. I figured they went to the next candidate, hired them, then never called me back. Then I beat myself up for not being up to answering the phone.

After that, I answered the next call and it was a telemarketer. *sigh*

Anyway, today is better. I'm going to see a lot of friends today. I've been avoiding my friends. Not all of them, but most of them. Because most of what we do is eat and drink and eating and drinking costs money and I don't want to be a burden, but I also just don't want to talk about it.

I don't know what I want to do.
I don't want to move back to Chicago.
I don't want people sending me a bunch of jobs in Chicago.
I don't want to hurt people's feelings because they think their friendship is enough to make me move back to Chicago and it's not.

I digress. Since I'm able to process every thought. I got a message from IHG Rewards, one of the many hotel points reward programs I belong to, letting me know my current balance. I travel a lot, but not nearly as much as I used to and I'm not loyal to any one hotel chain or airline. Therefore, I rarely have enough points at any one to do anything with.

So today, I'm going through my wallet, finding out my points balances and transferring them tot he airlines I have the most points with or buying gift cards, downloading music, or getting magazine subscriptions with the points.

Yet, another thing I would have no time to do or pay attention to if I had gainful employment. This makes me happy today.

What made you happy today?  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just curious. Why don't you want to move back to Chicago? Has Pittsburgh given you a different perspective on Chicago?