Monday, May 18, 2015

Get Humble

Originally written on 4/4/15.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I went out for a friend's birthday last night in Pittsburgh. The pickings are so slim that we ended up in a club that's really for college students and has no discernible dress code. I seriously saw a woman with a McCutchen jersey on and a man in a jogging suit amongst other things that FURTHER let me know that Hulu Plus would have been a better look.

But, I'm a good friend, so I subjected myself to it. Sidenote: In 2016, I may really stop going to places I don't want to go whether it's someone's birthday or not. It's SO hard to do, but I wonder if I waste my life away doing stuff I don't want to do under the guise of supporting others. Like are they going to quit me if I don't go to their birthday party. I think no. 

I digress.

So somewhere on this blog, I've written about how I hate DJs calling out the dumbest stuff on the mic. I believe I said something like:

"The DJ said 'if you have a job and make more than $25,000, MAKES SOME NOISE,' but if you DON'T have a job and/or if you make less than $25,000 a year, you shouldn't even be at the club. Like, why are you consuming anything that isn't essential if you don't make more than $25,000 a year?"

Of course, I'm out at this place with teeny boppers and the DJ says the same thing "If you have a job, if you make more $30,000 a year, if you have XXX in your pocket, MAKE SOME NOISE!"

It was at this moment that I realized that I'm a judgmental jerk. And for all the people I want to ride out of my pockets, I spend a lot of time assigning meaning to what other people have a don't have. 

The DJ at this wack club called out these meager stats and I couldn't even fist pump to them. I was in there looking at my shoes. I wanted to be like, but I have a healthy savings account and a strong IRA. I have good credit and lots of earning potential. I'm just in between jobs right now. This is really what I was thinking.

God humbled me last night. Even though, it seems to be in contrast to my core and who I am as a person, it's my goal to keep this humility with me in my future dealings. Everything happens for a reason and if the only reason for me to be unemployed was to humble me, that's reason enough.

Thankful for the opportunity to have a new perspective.

1 comment:

Ishea said...

Lol @ those precious moments God will check your ego. I totally get where you're coming from, but I also think you were experiencing being the "old bitch" in the club. Albeit it old for a college aged club and folks bragging about making 30k. #KanyeShrug

I bet your shoes were at least cute lol