Tuesday, May 26, 2015

An Update (Also, I'm Procrastinating)

Originally written on 4/24/15

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I fired off that writing test very close to noon today. It was supposed to take 3 hours, it took me 9. I don't know if that means, I'm unskilled or a perfectionist or what, but I did it, went back to sleep, then woke up at about 4 p.m. to start my day. I guess I've said the hell with a regular sleep pattern since I don't have a job to be at in the morning.

Now, at 11:42 p.m. after I've gone to happy hour, chatted it up on the phone with a friend, and watched Scandal, I'm embarking on the next writing test for the third PR agency I'm in the final rounds with. I have to be at church at 6:30 a.m. tomorrow to head out to North Carolina with my church fam. Yes, I'm THAT girl who takes bus trips with the church.

And apparently, I don't like nice things since I'm about to stay up all night writing AND I haven't packed or done my hair. But if you have a 7 hour bus ride, you might as well be tired for it.

This next test I'm about to do strictly forbids internet usage. They gave me more than 72 hours to complete it. Fam, it's 2015. I need a job and I have almost 4 days to complete the task. If you think I'm going to let Google and all its search engine power just sit there when it could be the difference between me eating or not eating, you are crazy... deranged. You are a lie and the truth ain't in you. Like, who's going to call me and say: "Hey T, did you use the internet to complete this project?"

That's the kind of thing you put on a writing test if/when I take it in your office on your computer and you give me something with just a word processor and no internet access. And even then, I'm pulling my phone out and going to town.

I'm probably not going to accept the job with this agency off GP for giving me these antiquated instructions, but by the time you read this you'll know where I work already and it will be a moot point.

Also, I met a venture capitalist in Pittsburgh at a fundraiser and he called me about a month ago to help him with a project. When he found out I didn't have a job, he shot my resume far and wide and now I have 5 (count 'em, FIVE) meetings with CEO or President level folks at companies all over Pittsburgh. Clearly, my strongest local connect and it was all because I was a cheerful giver when I had it.

Reap what you sow. Karma. Game recognize Game. Whatever you call it, I'm glad doing what I love to do (give back) has put me in a position with so many options.

Ok, bye.

No comments: