Thursday, April 9, 2015

Update on Mentoring

I can't believe I haven't given an update on mentoring since this post almost four months ago. I guess it's because I haven't had much to say. To catch you up, I'm was trying to be a one-on-one mentor for two girls. Janet's* case workers never called me back. And Joy had a foster family situation that was less than ideal. Her foster parents didn't want me to be a part of her life, and then she went AWOL and no one heard from her for months.

Well, my little AWOL delinquent, Joy, is back in the group home and they've asked me to come back and mentor just her. I jumped at the opportunity. Only five of the 13 girls who were there when I left are still in the house. It's weird being there for just Joy, but I don't think the other girls realize I'm only there for Joy and I'm not necessarily in a rush to tell them.

I think I'm going to focus on a lot of "out of the house" activities that have to do with her interests. College touring and educational activities are a must. (This is complicated by the fact that I don't have a car, but I have a lot of resources in Pittsburgh, so hopefully I can make it happen).

Joy is also five months pregnant. I have a lot of emotions about that, and the timing of it. None of which are appropriate for the blog. It's my prayer that I am exactly what God wants/needs me to be in her life, despite the fact that I have no idea what that is. I trust his timing and I'm happy to be of service once again.   

1 comment:

Ishea said...

Oh wow! I'm glad to see an update on this. It's a blessing that you're able to be back in her life... but I'm sad to hear her current circumstances. Hopefully you're the blessing she needs in her life right now.