Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Reclaiming My Life

Ok, so after Lent I realized how social media has taken over my life. And although I do need it for work, and breaking news, and to connect to friends, and sometimes just to unwind, there are some unhealthy habits as it relates to social that I can definitely let go.

10. Checking social media before I go to bed. I had a hard time sleeping the first night I was back on social because the glare from the phone was

9. Checking social media before I wake up/get out of the bed. The first day following Lent, I didn't do this and I was spry. The second day, I did it then immediately pressed the snooze. Something about checking social media made me sluggish.  


8. Email notifications from Facebook. I turned these off during Lent and don't mind leaving them off. Contrary to [my own] popular belief, I do not need to know the exact moment I am tagged in a photo or to a status or friend requested. I can wait until I log in. 

7. Having social icons on the what I consider the homepage of my iPhone. I moved them like 2 or 3 swipes from my homepage, so they're not constantly staring at me while I'm trying to get stuff done on email or in Evernote. 

6. Any social media notification on my cell phone when I'm NOT in the app. Who cares? If if ain't about the money... you know the rest.

5. Tinder - Tinder is the biggest possible distraction with least possible results because I live in Pittsburgh. Slim pickings. I don't use Tinder as a hook-up site and have only met one in real life from the site and it was like the most boring hour of my life. I think he connected with me on LinkedIn afterwards, which is friggin' hilarious. UPDATE: I downloaded Tinder while I was in New York for a week and it was better than 2 years of Tinder in Pittsburgh.

4. Pinterest - I'm not downloading it right now. It's a COMPLETE time suck and though I'm dying to see the latest fashions and home goods, I don't need that right now.

3. Swarm - No one checks in anymore. I don't need it and I don't miss it.UPDATE: I did miss it in the airport, but I still didn't download it.

2. Foursquare - Breaking Foursquare and swarm up is about the dumbest thing I've ever seen a social media site do. I deleted Foursquare forever ago and will not be bringing it back. That's what Yelp is for.UPDATE: Foursquare was perfect while I was in New York for a week.

1. Refusing to log off of Twitter or Facebook during live events. If everyone else is watching the Oscars or Black Girls Rock or the Final 4 and I'm not, I just need to log off and find something else to do. Otherwise, it takes my FOMO levels to unhealthy heights.

1 comment:

Ishea said...

I'm proud of all your progress! It's impressive. I'm debating a social media fast of sorts, but I think it'd also be nice to reduce the number of apps and slowly start to unplug from the big machine.