Thursday, April 2, 2015

Reading the Paper

In addition to praying more and being more present with people over dinner or drinks or coffee, this year's Lent has given me another benefit. I'm reading the paper again. As a PR pro, I can't exactly not be connected to the world and it's events. So in addition to checking local Chicago and Pittsburgh news and CNN a couple of times daily, I now subscribe to the Wall Street Journal.

The process of reading the paper is long and arduous and I'd be lying if I said I did it everyday, but here are some benefits.

1. To be a good writer, you have to read good writers and the Wall Street Journal has the best in the business.
2. I have more to talk about than Love and Hip Hop. Like, did anyone notice the injustices just voted into law in Turkey. Citizens protesting. Amongst other things, if your face is covered in a protest, it's punishable by up to 4 years in prison. WHAT?!?!?!?!
3. I have to slow down. It takes a smooth hour and a half to read the WSJ. I don't have that type of free time, BUT, if I feel like ditching TV or having a lazy Saturday morning, it is the perfect activity.
4. I know what old people think is is important. By the time something hits a WSJ headline, it's been on Twitter for about 48 hours already. There are tons of Trending Topics on Twitter. The editors at WSJ picks the ones that their readers (old people) are most interested in. This gives me stuff to talk to old people at church about.
5. With my online subscription, I can copy and paste articles that are interesting and we can discuss them here. (Or you all can text me because no one discusses anything here anymore. I miss the good old days of blogging where we had full on debates in my comments section. I blame Twitter and Facebook for the decline. LOL!)

P.S. I didn't even have to "pay" for the paper per se. I purchased it with airline miles. 

Coming up tomorrow, one of the better articles I'd read in the WSJ lately. It's an opinion piece that brings facts and figures to the welfare and SNAP (food stamps) debate vs. hyperbole and emotions. Hope you enjoy it! 

No comments: