Monday, March 30, 2015

Natural Hair: Junk Science or Nah?

Do you ever read natural hair blogs and websites or watch natural hair vlogs and think the dialogue is a bunch of hogwash. Then that conversation spills into brunch and diversity conference conversation, but sounds like fake, yet believable science?

I just want to take phrases like "Is your hair 4a, 4b or 4c" and "define your curl pattern" and throw them in an incinerator with words like "swag" and "fleek" and turn it up to I-never-want-to-hear-this-ever-again heat levels.

So... I'm looking for new hair styles and stumble across a post about hair's porosity. WAIT A MINUTE? What is this science I've never heard of before?

While I could give two damns about how "curly" my hair is, how to "prevent shrinkage" or how to "keep my length," my biggest hair goal in life is to keep my situation consistently moisturized. Meanwhile, since I've moved to Pittsburgh, I've not been able to achieve the moisture I want because the air is SO dry. (Or maybe Chicago's air was just so humid). Nonetheless.

I did the hair porosity test and originally thought it was a bunch of crap (three strands stayed at the top and one dropped to the bottom). But moments later the one at the bottom rose again like Christ on the third day. I'm thinking it was just full of product and therefore deceptive at the first pass.

So I read how best to moisturize "low porosity" hair and guess what, it worked! After weeks, months, years of trial and error with different products in Pittsburgh, I finally figured out that it's not WHAT I moisturize with, so much as how I moisturize. Wash Day torture routine coming up tomorrow.  

Hair follicles on fleek! I'm excited.

1 comment:

Maipai said...

Do you ever read natural hair blogs and websites or watch natural hair vlogs and think the dialogue is a bunch of hogwash. Then that conversation spills into brunch and diversity conference conversation, but sounds like fake, yet believable science? YES

I just want to take phrases like "Is your hair 4a, 4b or 4c" and "define your curl pattern" and throw them in an incinerator with words like "swag" and "fleek" and turn it up to I-never-want-to-hear-this-ever-again heat levels. YES

I just learned about it too and my hair stayed at the top of the water through the night so I would love to know what your regime is!