Saturday, January 10, 2015

This Here Lifestyle

I successfully took the bus to the movies yesterday. #YouCare

Anywho, what I have not been successful at is securing groceries without a car. Let me tell you about all of my attempts.

Grocery Delivery - In Pittsburgh, I have two options (according to Google)

BestGroceryDelivery.net - This overpriced site almost made me curse out loud. $8.19 for a gallon of milk. $2.34 for Chobani. If you pay attention to grocery prices like I do, you know that these are almost 100% markups. Whatever, I put all my groceries in the cart and got to about $100 and for delivered food, that's fine. I go to checkout and they don't deliver on the weekends and their weekday times start at 9 a.m. and end with a 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. I have a 9-5 job. This is why I need groceries delivered. That ain't gonna work.

DeliveredtoU.com, which turns into cart2.urbangrocery.com - This site's user experience is TRASH. You can't search. You have to go through the aisles, looking for what you want and none of the pics were loading. If I had time for that, I would have time to go to the actual grocery store.

Car Rental - Most weekends, this would work, but I didn't realize I wasn't getting groceries delivered until 1:30 p.m. today. Car rental places downtown Pittsburgh close at noon. I also REALLY need to watch my bottom line (can't be spending $100 a weekend on rental cars), so I looked into the Enterprise $9.99 weekend rental. You get a compact car Friday night, return it Sunday, $9.99 a day. I'm only going to Target. Works for me. They were closed though.

Zipcar - I closed my Zipcar account when I got a car about two years ago. I went to reopen it and remembered my company has a discount for that service. I emailed HR, but it's the weekend. They'll holla back on Monday, which again, will be fine in weeks to come, but when it comes to tomorrow's dinner, the struggle ceases to be fake.

Target Subscriptions - Have you all heard of this? I think it's genius. You know you're going to need toilet paper and tampons every month. Why not just have them delivered to your door instead having to run out for them? This is dope except for the fact that everything in the store isn't a subscription item. So while I want certain brands of dishwashing liquid, bleach and odor-wicking beads, those things can't exactly be shipped in the mail. So I got SOME things using this, but the real grocery shopping search continues. 

Friends - HOW MANY OF US HAVE THEM! So I hit up my girl who said I could use her car whenever. We text and determine I'm going to get her whip about 5:30/6. She needs it back around 9:30/10. KEWL! She hits me at about 5 p.m. to say she forgot to pay for renewal for the parking lot she has the car in and she can't get it out and she's sorry. No big. I'm sitting in the house watching football and I have enough food to get me through another week. A weak week, but you know, I could make it work.

Finally, I remembered a website I encountered called Anothermother.net. They do laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping and care baskets. Man, listen. The site was easy to navigate. They go to the same grocery stores I go to in East Liberty (Target, Giant Eagle, Trader Joe's) and you just put in your list open-ended and they pick up the stuff. It's an $11 delivery fee. Fair. Then it's $3 for each additional store. If you make your order by 1 p.m., they deliver it by 7 p.m. that day. After 1 p.m., by 7 p.m. the next day. This might be my new lick.

Now, you have to put a deposit of $20 down in order for them to place your order. I may or may not have just tricked off $20 since I've never heard of anyone using this service before. But, I pretty much have Better Business Bureau of speed dial, so I'm pretty sure it'll be fine.

I'll keep you posted about this here [commuter] lifestyle... in a city that is not set up for commuters. I swear I'm going to *Tim Gunn voice* MAKE IT WORK!

No comments: