Thursday, December 11, 2014

How Did I Get Here?

A lot of days I find myself reflecting on situations and thinking about how I got here. Usually, I'm sitting in skinny street traffic on some God-forsaken cobblestone road trying to get to the one mall in the suburbs of Pittsburgh that has a reputable Indian woman to thread my eyebrows, trying to figure out what happened to my much more convenient, fabulous, big-city, metropolitan life of years past.

Currently, it's 4 a.m. on a Thursday morning and I'm sitting in my apartment writing banner ad copy. I'm a public relations professional. I don't write banner ad copy. Copywriters write banner ad copy. It's like 20 words or less and it's giving me the heebie jeebies.

But... I'm a public relations professional, which means I do everything. I make Starbucks runs. I plan client dinners. I write strategies for top brands. I manage people, places and things. I make news when most people just watch it and my well-respected journalists friends just report it.

AND... I do things that are out of my comfort zone [and outside of my job description] to meet deadlines, which today equals writing banner ad copy from my living room at 4 a.m. because sleep and sensibility all went out of the door when I chose this profession.

Would't trade it for the world.

No comments: