Saturday, November 8, 2014

When Did We Get Old?

I'm in Vegas for work right now. At 5 p.m., I'll be here on personal time at my own personal expense. Usually when things like this happens, I can get a squad (or at least 1 person) to join me for the weekend. Here are the reasons folks could not join me:

10. I'm budgeting to buy a house next year and I can't go on any unexpected trips.
9. I have a wedding next year and I can't go on any unexpected trips.
8. I live in a dumb city and the flight prices are too high and have too many connections to warrant me paying that much for a two-day trip.
7. I'm nursing my newborn.
6. I'm a stay-at-home mom and we can't secure child care that quickly.
5. My girlfriend won't let me.*
4. My wife won't let me.*
3. I have to work that weekend.
2. Oprah's Life You Want to Live Tour is coming to my city that weekend.
1. Just plain no. 

When did we get so old? When we were 21-25 (and not budgeting and/or not owning homes, having babies and planning weddings), it would've been 13 people here with me in the blink of an eye.

I should also admit that some of the people who could have made the trip are folks I can no longer stand for more than 3 to 4 hours at a time. So I'm getting old too.  

Ah, well. When I write my memoir, I can talk about all the things I did by myself and how they make me amazing. Or whatever.

*I didn't seriously ask my male friends with wives and girlfriends to come. Can you imagine a single woman asking your sigfig to join her in Vegas? It just sounds bad. This reasons are what I imagined they would say if I asked.

1 comment:

Ishea said...

On a bright note, at least Vegas is a place where you could fall into some shenanigans and meet folks... but I do agree, it'd be more fun with friends. Looking forward to a recap of how the trip went.