Sunday, June 8, 2014

Busy, Unfulfilling Lives...

I saw this post on LinkedIn and immediately had to click it. You all know I am the queen of doing the most (calendar-wise). As I type this, I started checking personal email on Sunday night before I switch to work email because I had to leave work on-time on Friday and have been going nonstop ever since (Friday, Bonfire at a coworker's house, Saturday: Brunch, get together at my house, Arts Fair, Rooftop Deck, Late Dinner. Sunday: Children's Sickle Cell Walk, Church, Dinner w/ my church fam, shopping with my homegirl and soon-to-be 4-5 hours of work before getting up to be at work early tomorrow).

I loved this weekend. It was full of people I love and things I love to do. Rest was not one of those things.

This article is pretty cool because while I don't agree with all of it, it is a reminder to stop and smell the roses and not to be so busy living that you don't have a life.

Reminders make my soul happy. Enjoy.

By Greg McKeown

I recently met with a capable and driven executive and asked him, “How are you?” He gave me a rapid-fire answer of all of the things he was doing: traveling, business updates, career changes and his children’s innumerable activities. It sounded like an intense but satisfying life.

Then I asked him again, “How are you really?” And the moment I did, he became emotional, and the reality of his life flooded out of him: his stress, his frustration of trying to juggle it all, his sense that he had no time to really think, or play with his children, or enjoy any of it.

The (cute) summary is this: his schedule was always filled but his life wasn’t fulfilled. What’s less cute is that, for most of us, living in this way is one of the surest paths to a life of regrets. 

Read the rest here

No comments: