Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Emotional Intelligence

Professional Development is super important to me. What I'm finding at my level is that what I know is less important than how I deliver the messages. I read a book called Emotional Intelligence a few years back and found out that I'm not very good at it. On a scale of 50-100, I'm somewhere in the 70s. This means I'm not completely aloof. Like if you're crying I will know something's wrong with you, but if you're having a bad day... I won't necessarily notice and adjust my behavior accordingly. My sixth sense is basically off all the time and especially at work, which can inhibit my ability to be perceived as an effective team member and a caring manager.

I'm working on it by learning more about what it means and becoming more self-aware.

I came across this article about things that emotionally intelligent people won't do and wanted to share.

By Dr. Travis Bradberry

My last article, How Successful People Stay Calm, really struck a nerve. It was one of the most popular pieces in the 12-year history of the TalentSmart newsletter, and it has been read more than a million times on my Forbes blog.

The trick is that managing your emotions is as much about what you won’t do as it is about what you will do. TalentSmart has tested more than a million people, so I went back to the data to uncover the kinds of things that emotionally intelligent people are careful to avoid in order to keep themselves calm, content, and in control. They consciously avoid these behaviors because they are tempting and easy to fall into if one isn’t careful.

While the list that follows isn’t exhaustive, it presents nine key things that you can avoid in order to increase your emotional intelligence.

They Won’t Let Anyone Limit Their Joy

When your sense of pleasure and satisfaction are derived from comparing yourself to others, you are no longer the master of your own happiness. When emotionally intelligent people feel good about something that they’ve done, they won’t let anyone’s opinions or accomplishments take that away from them.


Read the rest here:

Do you know your emotional intelligence score? Do you find yourself working on professional development behaviors like emotional intelligence that aren't necessarily attached to your skill set, but are important to your success? 

No comments: