Sunday, March 16, 2014

The blog before the blog

I was getting ready to write a blog about professional development and share with you where I am on that journey, but so many other things that are necessary to the entire story crossed my mind. I wanted to share a few of them.

  • Being in a book store as an adult makes me feel like being in the library as a kid. I loved to read. I still love the read, but just don't have as much time for it. The nostalgia is amazing and I hope Barnes and Noble has a better business plan than Borders did.
  • When I was in the bookstore I saw all of these best sellers on the shelf in leadership and management and noticed that I have a lot of these books on my bookshelf. I'm not sure what happens between the time that I order a book and the time that it gets to my house that makes me not want to read it anymore, but this happens a ton.
  • Further, I came home thinking I was going to read "Getting Things Done" by David Allen and ended up reading The Emotional Intelligence Quickbook by Travis Bradberry and Jean Greaves.
  • I counted and I literally have 20+ books about communication, professional development, overcoming differences (being black and/or a woman in the workplace) and leadership. They are either unread or half-read or I read them and forgot to read them.
  • I don't even own my favorite leadership book, which is Expect to Win by Carla Harris. I was reading this book while I was working on paying my credit cards down, so I would literally go into Borders, read as many chapters as I could and put it back on the shelf.
  • Now that I'm in a better financial state, I should just buy Expect to Win to support Carla Harris and quit playing. *goes to www.amazon.com*
  • Finally, I found a receipt in the Emotional Intelligence book. It was from August 2008 and it was for a pair of pink Crocs that my then-boo bought for me because I literally forgot my wallet at home and we were shopping in Wicker Park. I miss the idea of him. He was a business owner, dressed impeccably, was tall and dark (you know how I do), had a penchant for the finer things and made me feel good all warm and fuzzy inside when I was with him. On the flip side, he was also a mama's boy, never made me a priority and we fought like siblings fighting for their parents love and approval. He got on my got damn nerves and vice versa.
All of these bullets points are where my head has been for the last few hours. Book reviews and further reflection coming up this week.

No comments: