Friday, March 21, 2014

Insecurities on Display

I'm about to put my insecurities on full display this morning. I have a fear of being forgotten and/or not heard. These fears play out in real life through anger. I don't like repeating myself because I feel like you should have been listening the first time.

I also don't like when people forget the details of my life. (Which is asinine because I damn sure don't remember theirs.)

A few hilarious examples of this came up recently:

  • A party promoter thinks I went to FAMU. He went to Howard. We have this friendly banter about how FAM is better than Howard. I went to U of I... We got in the party at a discount. That's all that matters. 
  • Barista at the hotel coffee shop near my job (because why would access to a real Starbucks be feasible in Pittsburgh...). Anywho, she goes "hey stranger? Extra caramel, extra whip?" I'm like nah, just the regular amount. She's like: "oh, you switched it up huh?" I've never ordered extra caramel or extra whip cream in my caramel macchiato. It's enough sugar in that thing already. 
  • A high school classmate recently moved to the 'Burgh. When she made the announcement, I told her to hit me up once she got settled. She hits me yesterday about a FB status I made about Pittsburgh and says "I didn't know you lived in Pittsburgh. I just moved here recently." So... my little outreach message never made it to you. OR you just conveniently ignored it. 
  • I go to my mom's church. The church I grew up in. A friend's dad says: "I haven't seen you here in a while." For starters, I don't live in Chicago. Even worse, I haven't gone to that church as a member since 2005. Why does no one know this?  
  • Finally, people don't know I live in Pittsburgh. I've been here 16 months. I know Ishea's going to say "But you go to Chicago once a month" so people who aren't close to me aren't going to know that. But I feel like they should. 
  Cue Beyonce's Listen AND I Was Here. *rocks back and forth with my lighter*

3 comments:

Well Heeled Blog said...

I didn't know you lived in Pittsburgh. Never been, but I heard it's a great city. I had a post on affordable, exciting cities for Millennials, and many commenters praised the virtues of Pittsburgh. Makes me want to visit.

Well Heeled Blog said...

Here's the post - as you can see in the comments, there are lots of love for Pittsburgh! Are you enjoying it?

http://www.wellheeledblog.com/2013/11/18/cities-where-millennials-can-make-it-now-do-you-agree-disagree/

T said...

Hey Well Heeled! Pittsburgh is VERY livable, which is the nice way of saying cheap. If you look at my Adventures in Pittsburgh thread http://teaandsuch.blogspot.com/search/label/Adventures%20in%20Pittsburgh you'll see all of the joys (cheap living, super nice people) and pains (lack of diversity, fashion and direct flights) that I've experienced here.

Based on what I know from reading your blog, I think you would love the cost of things here and the simple lifestyle. I don't know that you'd be a fan of the winters.

Hope all is well with you!