It's about time!!! So here's the deal. I chose to work with the Gwen's Girl's group home. At any given time there are up to 13 teens and young adults between the ages of 13 and 19 and their respective children in the home.
I did my first observation a couple of weeks ago and decided to move forward with it. (They want you to observe first, so you don't commit and then back out).
Despite my better judgment (I'm a busy professional with an unpredictable schedule), I have agreed to be there every Wednesday from 6-8 p.m.
Since this is the girls' home, they are almost always there during that time. (vs. weekends when they have home visits and free time.)
Wednesdays are also the day that I'm most likely to be in town and open.
But enough about my schedule. I need stuff to do with the girls.
Who has good mentee activities? It needs to be something that can be done in a group setting, at a table and engaging for 2 hours (or so) at a time.
I also don't want to be lame or fake. I never had a mentor as a child, so I don't have a model. Here are some things I'm thinking about doing:
- Vision Board (thought I think this is a weak activity and I probably won't do it)
- Identifying favorite women leaders for women's history month
- A discussion beauty (think Dove brand example)
- A career discussion (I can tell them what I do and have them brainstorm ideas with me)
- Something about safe sex
- Something about black history
- Something about local leaders. Let's find out who the local leaders are.
- Something about voting, elections, local government...
Any other suggestions? Any tips for me? I have to do one of these in 2 days. I want to be prepared!