Yesterday's post was too long, so here are the rest of the Dating Safety tips from eHarmony.
6. Use Caution When Deciding to Click on Any URL Link
We understand that a match may share a URL link to a favorite website or article as part of the get-to-know-you communication process. However, as a general practice, you should always use good judgment and be cautious when deciding to click on any URL links. Use of these links to access other Internet sites is at your own risk.
7. Take Your TimeWhile online communication can accelerate one's sense of comfort and intimacy, we can't stress enough how important it is for you to take your time getting to know your match. We encourage you to use eHarmony's anonymous eHarmony Mail system as long as necessary to find out as much about your match as is reasonably possible.
Even though eHarmony's Compatibility Matching System? creates extremely compatible matches, compatibility alone does not replace the need for real-life experience. It is vital to date and get to know each other in a deep, revealing and meaningful way by sharing a broad base of experiences together. The more experiences you share, the better your chances of avoiding hidden and sometimes unpleasant surprises. So allow time for a variety of experiences to occur, particularly your everyday routines. In cases of long-distance relationships, if possible, you should consider living in the same area for a significant time before committing to a more serious relationship. Move slowly and pay attention to the reality of your new relationship.
8. Make Your First Date Safe and SuccessfulMeeting in person is exciting. Have fun and explore the level of chemistry you share with your date, but don't let high hopes cloud your ability to exercise reasonable caution.
- Choose the time and place of your date wisely. Meet in a public place at a decent hour during which lots of people will be around. Lunch dates work especially well.
- Limit alcohol consumption or abstain entirely until you know the person better.
- Use your own transportation, even when meeting someone who lives a great distance away from you. Never agree to be picked up at your home. It's never a good idea to get into someone's personal vehicle on a first date. Wherever possible, drive yourself or take a taxi.
- Tell at least one friend or family member about your plans and when you will return. Arrange to check in with them after each of the first few dates.
- Carry a fully charged mobile phone with easily accessible emergency numbers.
- Leave unattended personal belongings such as purses, wallets, or jackets with pockets that may contain items that could reveal personal information about you, such as a driver's license, credit cards and ATM receipts.
- Meet at your house or place of work or give that information out until you have had a good opportunity to know the other person better.
- Incur large expenses on a date without first discussing how the cost will be divided.
- Go home with someone, even if it feels like everything is going great. You have not spent enough time with them to assess whether your safety is at risk.
9. Always be Respectful and KindAlways be respectful and treat your matches as you would want them to treat you. Not every match is going to be right for you so closing communication with matches and having matches close communication with you is a natural and healthy part of the process. eHarmony is about bringing two compatible people together who have a solid foundation from which a long-term relationship would have a high probability of success. You still need to carefully consider whether this particular person is one with whom you would like to further a relationship. If you feel the need to end communication, then be honest, direct and polite. The sooner you address this determination, the better for both of you.
If a match feels the need to close communication with you, please respect their wishes.
10. Report Concerns About a Match to eHarmonyeHarmony works hard to close individuals who misrepresent who they are on our site, and we take member complaints seriously. If you have concerns about a particular match, please do not hesitate to contact us so that appropriate steps can be taken to keep eHarmony safe. Email your concerns to: email@example.com.
If eHarmony closes an account for suspect activity, inappropriate behavior or falsified identity, you may be notified via email to discontinue communicating with the match in question. We strongly encourage all of our members to review emails received from eHarmony to ensure this communication is received promptly.
We hope these guidelines will help to make your eHarmony experience a success, and that you will find your soul mate as so many others before you have done.
eHarmony Customer Care