Thursday, February 6, 2014

Lies, Just Lies...

As I challenge myself to have a better perspective on life, I realize just how many things are gray. It's not always all bad or all good. But people will paint that picture. I just read a blog that talked about how Mary Jane was horrible and EVERY image of black women on TV is horrible and includes infidelity, etc.

Actually...

That's not true at all. Here's part of the comment that I left on that blog.

There ARE positive images of black women on TV. Oprah, Robin Roberts, Gayle King, Iyanla Vanzant, Essence Atkins in Are We There Yet (phenomenal family show, nobody watched it), Tracey Ellis Ross in Reed Between the Lines (phenomenal family show, nobody watched it) Joyful Drake, Kyla Pratt, Nadine Ellis, Erica Hubbard on Let's Stay Together, LaLa Anthony, Po and Dice (All Positive everything on their show), Tia and Tamera Mowry (went off the air, but gave us fabulous positivity). Brandy's character is pretty cool on the game, otherwise, the rest of them are pretty messy. Chandra Wilson and Jerrika Hinton on Grey's Anatomy. LisaRaye, Denise Vasi on Single Ladies (This is questionable as to whether it's positive or not, but how fly is their wardrobe?). Ashanti on Army Wives. 
I just rattled off 21 positive black women as a mix of real women, reality TV women and characters on shows. How in the world could I ever get into another conversation about how ALL images of US are one thing or another.

I'm so happy I'm on this journey to have an open perspective. My entire life is better by just thinking about things differently.

Question of the day: who did I miss? What other POSITIVE images are their on TV of black women. I know this isn't a comprehensive list.

No comments: