Sunday, January 12, 2014

Tips for treating a cold

Treat it like it's serious. If I had it to do over again, I would attack this thing full force at the onset of the first symptom.

Ask everything. I would have asked more questions at the doctor's office. By the time I made it to my third doctor's visit, I knew the questions they were going to ask me and I knew WHY they were going to ask me. So when the doctor asked if my sinus passages hurt, I said, no, but I likely have a high tolerance for pain. And that helped him get to the sinus infection diagnosis.

Ask about side effects. I should have also asked what the side effects were for the drugs I was getting and what I should eat while taking said drugs to prevent those symptoms. I will definitely ask those question the next time I'm at the doctor's office.

Use a neti pot. This little disgusting contraption is way cheaper than all the nasal decongestants I had. It feels like you're drowning yourself when you use it and all of the things coming out of your nose make you feel like no man is ever going to kiss you again, but my nasal passages have never been clearer.

Take a day or two. I didn't take any days off work over the break because I didn't plan well and my job doesn't have sick days. If you're sick, you work from home. So it's like I was already planning on working from home over the break and this time I just worked from home sick. I should have taken a full vacation day and logged out and just focused on getting better.

Take a spa day. My biggest barrier to rest is my brain. It's always racing. Even when I wasn't working, I was sitting on the couch thinking about all the work I had to do. The next time I get sick, I'm going to have to figure out a way to lay my burdens down. A spa is usually the best place to do that.

Keep a sense of humor. I always have this. Being sick is funny. All the disgusting things coming out of my body and I'm this prim and proper diva. I cough every time I laugh. If you watch someone do this, it's kind of funny. It's also funny trying to figure out what's wrong with me. I start with AIDS, then Cancer, then go from there. Those things are not funny, but the fact that a cough or sinus headache makes me feel like I could possibly be terminally ill is funny when you sit down and think about it. Life is funny. I laugh it up.

Keep a sense of gratitude. When I got the chicken pox for the second time, I was beyond miserable. I was a 12 year old who hated life and everything involved with it. My mother, bless her heart, read Job to me. If Job wasn't going to curse God and die the way his wife suggested, how could I? It's all about perspective...

More on this tomorrow.

2 comments:

Ishea said...

Add to the list: Keep Zicam on deck. It's the best pre-cold medicine I've ever used and is amazing! Again, this is a pre-cold medicine, so you take it at the first onset of symptoms. Thank me later :)

Blogger said...

You can make $20 for each 20 minute survey!

Guess what? This is exactly what large companies are paying me for. They need to know what their customer needs and wants. So large companies pay $1,000,000's of dollars per month to the average person. In return, the average person, like me, fills out surveys and gives them their opinion.