Monday, January 13, 2014

Perspective

As 2013 came to a close, I had a cloud of sickness over me. I was staying in my little brother's old room that's cluttered with stuff and my big plan to clean it out was foiled by my low energy. It felt like the world was closing in on my and to make matters worse, I wasn't exactly dying to get back to Pittsburgh to go to work.

If I wasn't careful, I could start to think that 2013 was a miserable, cluttered, mediocre year. I tend to do this. I tend to make whatever horrible situation I'm going through the biggest, baddest, worst possible thing and let it overshadow everything else.

I made sure to go to church on New Year's Eve (a favorite tradition of mine) and to be surrounded by people I love (a surefire way to set up the year right).

And in looking back, 2013 was an amazing year. I came into my own in a new city, making new friends, becoming a volunteer and joining a young professionals wedding. I witnessed three sets of friends pledge their love to each other in holy matrimony in Pittsburgh, Chicago and North Carolina. I paid all my bills on time, saved what I said I was going to save and still had money left over. I shopped, I traveled, I dined out, I indulged, I prayed. I even had a couple of boothangs in the midst of all of that.

And EVEN in all of my sickness at the end of the year, I was surrounded by my loving mother who doted on me, lots of friends and family who called, stopped by or e-checked in on me.

One of my goals in 2014 is to keep things in perspective. If I get a review and there are 14 sections and 2 of them include negative marks, it's important that I look at the entire review, not the two bad marks.

If I date a lot of people and only one is a jerk, I have to pat myself on the back for making good decisions - whether or not we're compatible is another story.

If I eat right Monday through Friday and have cake all weekend long, I have to think about how I made good choices 71% of the time.

So yes, I've been sick for 3 weeks. But for 49 other weeks, I wasn't sick. How awesome is that?

Keeping life in perspective is going to be critical to my happiness in 2014 and beyond.

A gospel songwriter summed it up PERFECTLY.

I've had some good days
I've had some hills to climb
I've had some weary days
I've had some weary nights
But when I look around
And think things over
All of my good days
They outweigh my bad days
So I won't complain.

(ooh wee, that's my jam. I'm crying right now singing it. God is so good.)

1 comment:

Kanae J said...

That's a great way to look at things.

I said this year I would start each morning with a prayer, smile, and 5 things to be thankful for.