Friday, January 31, 2014

Life Is Worth Living!!!

Yesterday, I saw a bunch of people saying #RIPYusef. Then I saw Rolling Out do a piece about him. I Google the gentleman to see who he was found out that he went to Hampton, was in my age group, committed suicide and was engaged to the ex-girlfriend of a friend of mine.

The world is truly small.

After being sick for more than a month,  I was in a really bad place. I didn't pray for death or do anything to harm myself, but if I shared the thoughts going through my head during that time (despite trying to be positive) you all would call an intervention.

During my sickness, I heard this sermon from my Pastor. I've been meaning to share it with you all already, but now is the definitely the time. 

Scripture Reference is 1 Peter 1:13
 
"Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ."
 
Gird up your loins means: Get ready for work. Roll up your sleeves. Get your mind ready. To tighten up like a girdle.
 
Be sober means: Keep watch day and night. Be alert. Your enemy prowls about like a roaring lion, seeking who he may devour.
 
- Don't let the enemy steal your joy.
- You can leave church on Sunday with a song in your heart, and have it taken away Monday.
- Life is not fair.
- Rain comes on the just and the unjust.
- Your spiritual maturity will be the difference between your victory and your defeat.
- Life can temporarily take your song, but don't let it permanently steal your joy.
- Worship through your problems. Sometimes worshiping God is a "labor" of love. You don't want to do it, but you have to do it. You have to praise God like it's your job and that will get you through your trials.
 
Four quick points from the pastor.
 
1. Trials are short-term realities.
2. Trials can lead us to greater blessings.
3 .Trials give us proper perspective. (For this point, he referenced 2 Corinthians 2:7-9 - But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us. We are troubled on every side, but not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsake; cast down, but not destroyed.)
4. Trials can help us experience God's presence. In all your ways, acknowledge him and he will direct your paths. In your weakness, God will make you stronger.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
I'd also like to add that the biggest lie we'll ever hear is that we are alone. That no one understands us. That no one has been through what we're going through. God sends people through problems SPECIFICALLY so they can help others. God sends me through things so I can help others. God may have sent you something through something so you can help someone else. But KNOW he's sent someone through ALREADY to help you. 

And if after reading all of this, I haven't convinced you that your situation is temporary, please call the Suicide Prevention Hotline before taking your own life: 1-800-273-8255. 

I guarantee you it will get better.

No comments: