That's not the point though.
The point is, this year my holiday was canceled, thanks to the flu.
It started with a tickle in my throat at a going away party in Pittsburgh on Monday night. Then hacking cough Monday night. Full-blown sickness with fever on Tuesday and Wednesday (yes, this was Christmas and Christmas Eve), then shivers, body aches, congested nose, tight chest and the worst lingering cough in life.
- Cooking mac n cheese for the family on Christmas... canceled.
- Breakfast with a dear friend... canceled.
- Dinner with my homeboy... canceled.
- Working from the Chicago office... canceled. (I actually carried my tail to work in 0 degree weather and suffered through a Friday morning conference call before deciding that my brain was medicine mush and going home and going to bed)
- Friday night catch-up with high school friends... canceled.
- Cheerleader reunion (yes, we still do this. The bond is strong.)... canceled.
- Posh Day Party... canceled.
- 4th quarter of the Bears/Packers game... canceled. (I actually went to urgent care during this time because the nurse helpline said it sounded like I had a bacterial infection instead of just a flu virus. She was wrong, thank God, but you can never be too safe.)
- And my good friend had the stomach flu yesterday, so Dre & J House party with her, also... canceled.
I guess if I have to think of a theme for Christmas 2013 it would be The flu sucks, family over everything and by God, I made it. I was down and out, but I made it.
With a final week of 2013 like that, I'm so happy to see 2014. Bring on the Vitamin C and the flu shots!