Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pittsburgh - The Good 2

Ok, more good things about Pittsburgh

  • The cost of living is cheap. I appreciate the ability to save money, pay down debt, travel more or shop more while I'm here. I don't feel as worried about money as I was in Chicago. More on watching my bottom line here.
  • As a generalization, the people are nice. Twilight zone nice. I speak to people in the mornings now. I talk to people on elevators. My coworker offered to take me to the airport on Christmas Eve and she lives at least 30 minutes away from me.
  • Things move slower (not to worry, this is also on the bad list) - Because no one's in a rush to do anything, this city breeds patience. I either have to be patient or be angry. No one else is going to understand my anger, so I've chosen patience. 10 minutes to get my coffee at Dunkin' Donuts, no problem. You paused before hitting the gas at a green light, no problem. There's an elderly woman working at Macy's who take's 15 minutes for one transaction, no problem.
  • They get most cultural things - When it comes to concerts and shows, they get most things here. Jay-Z was here. Justin came here. Drake stopped here first. I finally saw the Lion King here. I will probably go see Wicked Here.
  • The Improv - I love comedy. I've seen Bill Bellamy, Monique and Loni Love. Charlie Murphy and Bruce Bruce were here, but I couldn't make it for some reason or another. The most I've paid is $40 for Monique. Everyone else is like $10-$20.
  • The food - The food here is great. The portion sizes are astronomical and my waistline is not pleased, but my tastebuds are.
  • The activism - I've mentioned that I've been impressed with places like Urban League, Bethlehem Haven, United Way and Family House here. In Pittsburgh, I find that a lot o the organizations are not just giving handouts, they are providing resources that allow people to get back on their feet. They are also heavily invested in the research of what that takes and following through on those things. So many examples of this in my day-to-day life and that's the kind of place I want to live - where giving back is a lifestyle, not a fad.
  • The Access - Living in a smaller city gives you access at work, in dating, to celebrities, to whatever you want. It's not enough people here or places to go for people with notoriety, means or fame to separate themselves from the rest of us. Having access to those people, if used correctly, could give me insight into a better life. For example, Essence Beauty editor, Mikki Taylor did a one-on-one with like 30 people at a museum here. I could never get that close to her in New York or Chicago. (I couldn't go because I was out of town - likely in Chicago, but that's the kind of stuff that happens here and if I'm plugged enough to find out about it, it's really nice.)

No comments: