Monday, December 23, 2013

3 Things on God's Christmas List

Sunday's sermon was taken from Micah 6:6-9. I know what you're thinking: it wasn't Luke 2:1-7. I thought the same thing, but apparently, we all know that text well. :-)

My Pastor preached on the 3 things on God's Christmas List. As we're buying gifts for everyone else, he urged us to put God on that list. All three of the things came from Micah 6:9.

1. Do Justly (KJV) / Be Just (NIV)

Pastor encouraged us to do the right thing, not just in personal dealings, but as a society. Is it fair for some of our workers to live without a living wage when others of us have more than what we need? Are we cheating on our taxes? Our spouses? Our significant others? Are we teaching our kids to do the right thing in school (and not just do what they can get away with).

The text is so simple, but he talked about how we find the time and money to act like Christmas from Thanksgiving to Christmas, but what abotu the rest of the year.

2.  Love Mercy (KJV) / Show Mercy (NIV)

Another gem right here. He asked how many times we try to get even or get revenge. He reminded us that God can fight our battles. In this text, he didn't call us to be warriors. He called us to show mercy.

In thinking about the practical application, I've wrote this before. Do we show mercy when our check is wrong at a restaurant. Do we show mercy when someone steals our parking space in a crowded mall parking lot on December 21st (this actually happened to me and I was proud of myself for not caring. I seriously thought "there are bigger issues in the world than driving around to find a park" and just circled the lot until something came up). I want to show that kind of mercy, year round.

3. Walk humbly with God (KJV) / Walk humbly before God (NIV)

Pastor mentioned that we need to humble ourselves. He mentioned that self-pity is another form of pride. And pride is thinking too highly of yourself because you think too little of God. [He was preaching right at me, y'all.]

If I'm not careful, I can start to think that one thing going wrong is the end of the world. Or I can start to think that I have control over anything, but my own actions. I can start to think that my life is full of cause and effect - I eat everyday, three times a day because I work hard and I deserve it - when really I eat three times a day because God is my source.

~~~~~~~~~~

This sermon was a wonderful reminder of what it means to be a Christian and its practical applications. I told y'all I loved church yesterday!

No comments: