Monday, November 4, 2013

But, It Doesn't FEEL Good

I am learning so much about myself, my reactions to things and how appropriate they are and are not. Let me give you an example. When there is a conflict at work, I feel bad about it. When I feel bad about things, I think they are my fault. When I feel at fault and cannot correct my faults, I feel like crap. When I feel like crap, my entire life sucks. I feel like the entire world is ugly because I feel bad (when really the world looks exactly the same, but it's me who changed.)

So here's what I learned. The presence of conflict does not constitute FAULT on my part. It is not necessarily anyone's fault. And it doesn't feel good, but everything is not going to feel good all the time. A lot of times people would rather feel good than to do what is required. So when I do what is required and it doesn't feel wonderful, I sometimes feel bad about it and I should not.

Is this the most abstract thing you've ever read or what? The details would bore you, but that's my lesson and I hope someone can benefit from me sharing it.

I'll leave you with a quote from one of my favorite PR pros, Bill Whitman, that hopefully more eloquently sums up my stream of consciousness.

"Personal and professional growth are rarely experienced without some discomfort."

Does that make more sense? It's ok if something you did didn't make you and everyone else around you feel good if it helped to get to a necessary end. As long as your actions were appropriate, know that it sometimes takes discomfort to get to a higher level (this could be a spiritual lesson, too. So much in that quote, Amen.)

No comments: