Saturday, October 26, 2013

Chugging Along...

I thought I would have been a mentor by now, but things are taking a bit longer than expected. Every time I think I'm done with something... ONE more thing I have to do pops up. Let me give you the laundry list of things that I've done so far:

  1. Registration Form
  2. Read and sign confidentiality agreement
  3. Read and sign the Assignment Guide
  4. Read and sign the volunteer handbook
  5. Provide Emergency Contract Info (Two contacts. This is ludicrous. I don't have two emergency contacts. I have my mom... That's it. I had to ask my first lady of my church to be my other emergency contact and she said yes!. I guess it's good to know that I have some local support if I need it, so that's a plus.)
  6. Local Background Check ($20)
  7. Child Abuse Background Check/Clearance ($20)
  8. Physical/TB Test ($22)
  9. Copy of my driver's license/ID Card
  10. Pre-mentor training
Here's a list of things I still have to do.
  1. A copy of my insurance card. This is a minor detail. I just need to remember on a day that I  drive to work (about once a week), to take the card out of my glove compartment and make a copy AND remember to put it back.  
  2. FBI Clearance - (I've already purchased my fingerprint card for $40, then I have to fill out the form, which I sat down to do today. THEN I have to pay $18, which I was about to write a check for... but they need a cashier's check or a money order or a credit card form. I don't have a printer at home to print out the credit card form. It's Saturday at 6:04 p.m., so I can't get a cashier's check or money order from the bank.)
  3. Two references (fortunately for me, they will reach out to my references AFTER they get all of the rest of my paperwork.)
  4. I JUST noticed as I was writing this blog that it has a checkbox for "training information (documentation, copy of CPR card, etc.)" I hope I don't have to get CPR training. I will if I have to because I really want to be a mentor, but I hope I don't have to.
So in this post when I said I had an 18-pt checklist to become a mentor, that was false. It's a 14-point checklist. I got this checklist on 5/31/13. I'm scared that when I finally send all this paperwork in, they may tell me I took too long and parcel me out to a lesser mentorship organization. LOL!

I'm excited to keep you all in the loop about what happens next.

1 comment:

Ishea said...

I must commend you for being so dedicated to mentoring! It's a ridiculous amount of legwork to get started, but I do appreciate how thoroughly they seem to be vetting their mentors. Hopefully you have a great experience mentoring once you finally get started.