Friday, May 31, 2013

Do It Now... I'm TRYING!!!

This title is funny because like my mentors says you either do it or you don't. You don't TRY to do anything. Saying I'm going to TRY to do something is like saying no, I'm not doing it. (She's hard on me).

I have about 12 points to make, not sure how eloquent this will be, but rock with me.

Since 2009, I've been extremely shaken up by the violence in Chicago. I've been preaching it starts with me, I have to do something. But when it comes to our youth, I haven't done anything. I reached out to Big Brothers, Big Sisters in my neighbhorhood. They didn't reply and I didn't follow up. Four years have passed and I'm still not a mentor.

So I move to Pittsburgh and it's SO hard to find volunteer ops here. This state is the second largest for elderly people and Pittsburgh has a lot of colleges and universities. This means that people have free time during the day to volunteer. So when I'm looking for volunteer ops, they're like 1. Can you volunteer with us from 9-5 M-F, I'm like hell naw, I have a job. Then they're like 2. Can you come meet with us during that time. I'm like what part of hell and naw don't you understand.

My goal this year was to volunteer once a quarter. It's frickin' May 31st and I have been of no service to anyone this year (but I donate a lot of money to stuff. I really do.)

So fast forward to now and I'm going to volunteer at a hospitality house (for people waiting on medical care and their families) and I'm going to mentor a young girl. 

But let me explain my frustration. It takes years to get anything done in this slow city. People want to meet with you to talk to you about what they're going to talk to you about. Between my work and travel schedule and their crazy it must be done M-F, 9-5 demands, I can barely find the hours to talk to them. But after we get off the phone, they send me what seems like the millionth email.

The point is, despite my concerted efforts, I am still filling out paperwork, shuffling schedules and talking about what I'm going to do and not damn doing it.

I'm mad at myself. I'm mad at paperwork. I'm mad at how nice people are in this city because they want to talk to you about their life story and tell you every function of the organization before you can get to work.

On a positive note, I will be somebody's mentor and have a regular shift at the hospitality house before the year is out and hopefully my contribution to society will put me in a better mood because between all of these emails, phone calls and background checks I'm feeling very useless to society right now.

1 comment:

South Loop Social Light said...

I commend you for what you're DOING and will be following your lead. I'm moving to Seattle next week and plan on finding a volunteer opportunity within the first month or so after getting settled. My passion has always been working with animals, so I plan on finding a shelter or animal care league to give some time.