Sunday, May 5, 2013

An Airport Tale

(This events of this post happened forever ago, but it's a good story. I kept it in my drafts, so I could tell you all without you being able to trace the time or date... Some privacy is important)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm currently sitting in the airport. I'm not fuming anymore, but I'm seriously disappointed. I left work at 5 p.m. on the dot. I got to the airport at 5:46. I got to my gate at 6:13, where I noticed that the flight was delayed til 8:10.

I asked the gate agent, he said the flight was actually only delayed 5 minutes, so from 7:35 to 7:40. At about 7 p.m. something in me didn't feel right. The gate agent was gone, I look up and the flight is now delayed to 8:45 p.m. Now this would all be fine and good if I didn't have a connection. My connection is at 9:30 p.m. CT (All other times have been Eastern)

So I trot around the airport asking other airlines can they get me to my final destination TONIGHT. They cannot. In a moment of pure heartbreak the woman at the airline's call center told me if I'd called an hour earlier she could have gotten me on a flight that left moments after my flight was supposed to leave.

But I didn't. I called at 7 p.m. And they were busy. And they called me back between 9 and 17 minutes later and delivered the heartbreaking news that I would be staying in the city where my layover is and not meeting my honey across the country.

When I told him see you tomorrow yesterday, it meant two days from now and it sucks. It sucks because I don't have any time off work, so wherever I am I need to be working at 9 a.m. ET. It sucks because no one who I love lives in this city. So the disappointment of not being about to see him or POSSIBLY not being able to see him is magnified exponentially because I am so lonely in this medium sized city with its medium sized airport.

I guess on the bright side, everyone here has been extremely friendly and nice in helping me and they are really good at empathy. Either that or I look profoundly pitiful and they feel sorry for me.

I miss my honey. I miss Chicago. I miss flight options.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I bet this was a United flight.