Friday, April 5, 2013

It's Not a Priority

Someone put up a post on Instagram (I'm so addicted now) that said "When you say you don't have time to do something try replacing that with 'it's not a priority to me' and see how that feels."

This phrase has given me such life. Since giving up TV for Lent there are tons of things I COULD have done with all that free time, but didn't.

Here are some examples of how these things went in my head. (Or maybe out loud because I live alone so I can talk to myself. Who gone check me boo?)

Cook dinner instead of eating Chipotle... It's not a priority to me.
Mop the floor... It's not a priority to me.
Twist my hair before going to bed (depending on the day of the week)... It's not a priority to me.
Go to church...yeah, that's a priority.
Pray daily... Wayment. Hold Up. It IS a priority, so I gotta make it happen. .

In that same vein, I remember working at a job and I told one of my mentors that I was furious at my bosses because they "didn't respect my time." She looked at me and said "No, you don't respect your own time."

Professionally, I used to feel like going the extra mile meant sacrificing work-life balance. Now I know that I get to decide my own priorities. And yes, in some instances there will be late nights and early mornings, but for the most part if I make it clear that my office hours are from 9 to 5 (*big red finger waves waving), then people can't disrespect that unless I allow them to.

Personally, if I decide that mopping the floor or responding to emails IMMEDIATELY does not make my world turn, then that's ok too.

This line has eased my mind (and my schedule). Look at God speaking to his child on Instagram. :-)





1 comment:

Nicola Ellis said...

That is certainly a perspective. I will try that this week and see how my week goes.