Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Men in church

Doug Banks is always talking about the hot (and funny) topics on his radio show. And one of the topics was why men don't go to church. For the purpose of today's blog, I'm specifically referring to men who identify as Christian.

One of the comments that really stuck with me is that church is all about playing on emotions and men don't want to look outside of themselves for help or have to rely on their emotions. They want to problem solve.

This made a lot of sense to me because... well, I'm a crier. So when things get stirred up at church I cry. I cry almost every Sunday. Happy tears or sad teams, but mostly being overwhelmed with the love of God. As a woman, I am not embarrassed to say this.

BUT

I am uncomfortable when male preachers cry. Though they are overwhelmed by the same blessings of the same God, I expect them to praise and worship differently. I almost feel like preacher cry on queue to elicit reactions from the congregation. (I don't believe that that's what they're doing, but that's how I FEEL when it happens, it that makes sense).

So my question (to no one because I don't know if any Christian males read my blog) is for the men who DO go to church. What about church makes you keep coming? And how do you get over the overly emotional preachers? Or how do you worship as a male with a service that seems to be geared towards women?

I'm genuinely curious. Let's be respectful in the comments as well. I don't want anyone to feel judged or attacked for how they choose to praise God.

No comments: