Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Grocery Shopping

I have so much to tell y'all about my new life in a small[er] city. First up, I have to start grocery shopping. I can't just stop at Trader Joe's on my way home or order from Peapod. There's only one grocery delivery service in Pittsburgh and the prices are not competitive. There's no way I'm paying more than I pay in a full-price Chicago grocery store for a Pittsburgh delivery service. I cain't go.

So I get a rental car to run errands and I check out the circulars. I have notes from

- Kuhn's Market
- Bottom Dollar Foods
- ALDI &
- Giant Eagle

I also heard that there is a Whole Foods here (I don't really shop there) and a Trader Joe's, but they weren't close and I wanted to hit a traditional grocery store (like Jewel or Dominick's) for my first grocery visit. I can't deal with Trader Joe's and their "we don't have baking powder" nonsense that day.

So I get to Giant Eagle and I had to check my calendar. It wasn't the first of the month, but given the demographic in the store, it could have been and that's all I'm going to say about that.

The prices seemed pretty low on everything except cleaning supplies, which is customary at non-discount stores. I bought a truckload of food and spent what I thought was a reasonable amount of money... until I went to Target to pick up cleaning supplies and did a price check.
Man... I got got. Target had cheaper food in every category. I probably could have saved between 10-30% off the top of my bill. They won't get me again. I've always been team Target, but now I'll be team target for groceries as well.

This is probably an extremely boring post if you aren't moving to Pittsburgh anytime soon. I don't have anything else to talk about. My apologies.

No comments: