Monday, October 8, 2012

Practical Tips for Being a Disciple

I love when a sermon has a pratical application. I believe that all the Bible stories happened, but sometimes I don't know what they have to do with me. A visiting Pastor at Broadview Baptist Church gave a great lesson and I wanted to share.

Pastor Bill Smith
Scriptures: Matthew 28:18-20, II Chronicles 16:9
Title: The Disciple's Mandate

1. Evangelism - Sharing the good news and what God has done for me. I should look for every opportunity to share God's love. Pastor Smith mentioned your server when you go to a restaurant. Do you treat waiters and waitresses with the love of God. And if they're having a hard time ask them if there's anything you can pray for them for. This hit me like a ton of bricks. I'm so much better with customer service than I was a young lad, but the last thing on my mind is sharing God's love with them. I'm like "are they going to do their job right or what" and that's the wrong attitude to have. I learned so much from Pastor Smith on this night.

2. Education - Are you willing to do what God has asked you to do. EVERY CHRISTIAN MUST HAVE A PASSPORT. This was an interesting message to me because my own Pastor, Pastor Hannah, has been saying this as well. My church is less traditional though and I thought the idea was pretty cutting edge. Growing up in a "missionary" Baptist Church though, Pastor Smith, underscored that if we are truly missionary as Christians, then we must get off U.S. soil and share God's love. I really enjoyed that.

3. Teaching - Every Christian should be a part of the teaching ministry. This is not a task I'm willing to take on right now. I go to church regularly, but I'm not involved in ministry. I do have a passion for youth, but I'm not exactly "living right" all the time, so I feel horrible teaching "rules and regulations" to the kids, then not living up to those standards myself. I think once I'm married (and having church-sanctioned sex), I may start getting more involved. This is something I'll continue to pray about.

No comments: