I hosted my first big group of people at my new place recently. Hooray! So I always say I would like to host, but truthfully, I've never hosted in my own home. I've co-hosted at other places, I've hosted at my mom's house, but in my own space... so much to learn.
Here are some recent lessons:
- Turn the fridge down. I got home to half frozen food... no bueno. At least I know no one will get food poisoning.
- I need more stuff - The planning/cooking would have been easier if I had a few key things: serving platters, a carafe or two, more serving spoons, more portable seating
- I gotta learn how to grill (or get someone over here who knows how). I think it would have been a more fun summer party
- I need to brush up on my wine pairing knowledge. I know VERY basic stuff, but I wasn't sure what went with a summer recipe (see below)
- Fresh Veggies
- Deviled Eggs
- Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwiches
- Tri-color pasta salad with pepperjack cheese and asian peanut sauce (I'm pretty proud of this one)
- Banana pudding
- Red & White Wine
I can't think of what quick and easy things to make next next. Perhaps a pot luck...
What tips do you have for hosting a big group?