Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Going for the Okie Doke

Let me tell you a little story about me wanting a good deal and an honest landlord. I found a place that was basically downtown, but depending on the listing it could be considered, south loop, west loop or printer's row. It was about 800 sq ft with a balcony, a fireplace, a large bathroom, w/d (of course) and an island that separating the combined kitchen, living room, dining room space and even came with an optional parking space for an additional $125 per month. It also had some cool features like spotlights on the wall for art, etc.

My leasing agent put my application after three apps were already in because he was sure my credit score would be higher than everyone else's. It was. They said I got the place and were drawing up the lease. They were calling me all day on details and asked if I wanted parking. Nope, no thank you.

*record scratch*

My leasing agent talked to the listing agent who talked to the owner who said s/he wanted to rent the place with parking.

Now I'm not sharing how much my budget is, but let's use round numbers. Hypothetically speaking, let's say my budget is $1,000. This particular unit was listed at $875 plus $125 OPTIONAL parking. I look at the place as a $875 place and decide that I like it. After they've chosen me they call me and try to strongarm me into getting a $1,000 lease saying I can sublet the parking spot for whatever price I like. Um... no thank you. So, of course, when I declined the owner went with a candidate with a lower credit score. Good luck with that.

Not only did I not want to have to deal with getting $125 from some third party every month, but I also felt very swindled in that situation. And as you can see from this hypothetical budgeting exercise that I CAN afford the whole $1,000... comfortably. But... it's the principle of the thing.

They should have listed it as $1,000 with parking included vs. $875 with parking optional because PARKING WAS NOT OPTIONAL.

1 comment:

KJ said...

Oh wow! Yeah that does sound okey dokey