Saturday, June 9, 2012

Apt. Search Tips Cont...


5. It may take a while. At the time of writing this post, I have been searching for three weeks. If you follow me on Twitter, you know that I originally gave myself one day to find an apartment

4. Be prepared to spend more than you thought you would spend to get what you want. My girl is on the hunt as well and she spent about $650 more per month than she originally envisioned. I had to increase my budget by $500 per month to even see options that remotely resemble what I want.

3. Be decisive. I saw a place that I wanted on a Tuesday night and I was weighing it against a place I hadn't seen. On Wednesday at noon, I said that I wanted it and there were already 2 applications on it. I could care less as I'm sure my application would have won, but the owner wanted to move quickly and the apps s/he already had were good enough, so they wouldn't even take my app. My heart hurts for that home that could have been mine.

2. If you don't feel good about it, don't do it. I could have paid the $125 parking fee and had an apartment I loved, but I didn't feel like getting swindled was an appropriate start to the landlord/tenant relationship, so I moved on. Even through apartment searching, I believe that what God has for me is for me, so that place, just wasn't it.

1. Have fun! This process has been very stressful for me because I just started a new job AND went on vacation and I don't really spend as much time in Chicago on the weekends the way a normal person who's looking for an apartment should. However, when I take a moment to breathe, I have so much fun looking through photos of apartments and considering all of the possibilities of where my new home could be. If it weren't for the possibilities, I would be absolutely miserable with this process. But I've been like washers and dryers and rooftop decks, oh my!!!  

So... that was a blogful, huh? Now, what tips do you have for apartment searchers in 2012? 

2 comments:

South Loop Social Light said...

I agree with most of the things you stated. For me the most important aspect of my housing search was to be honest about my absolute must-haves and be flexible with the rest. I absolutely couldn't compromise on location, yet I had a certain budget... therefore it caused me to realistically adjust some of the things I could expect inside of the actual unit. In the end I went with a studio that had everything I needed and my top location instead of settling on a 1bdrm further out.

Unknown said...

Increased budget by $650?! Clawdhammucy, that’s RENT in some areas of Chicago! No sir. I *did* find the search more difficult than last year. I relied on craigslist for my current place and this year, there seemed to be more postings from management companies and not private landlords (which I prefer). I took that to mean if I was serious about getting what I wanted, I needed to do things the old school way…walking around potential neighborhoods and looking for “For Rent” signs. I would never use a leasing agent in Chicago unless I was extremely pressed for time. There is plenty of housing stock here, unlike say…New York. I’d use that money to spruce up my new digs.