Monday, June 4, 2012

Apartment Search Tales

At the time that I'm writing this post, I still have not found an apartment. I'll let you all know as soon as that changes. L

et's talk about wanting a whole bedroom. Leasing agents will list places and show you places that have a wall separating the living room and a vacant space for a bed and call it a one-bedroom apartment. THAT IS NOT A ONE BEDROOM APARTMENT. It is a big ass studio.

 Here are some words to avoid when looking for a WHOLE bedroom: cozy, cute, jr. 1BR, and it could go 50/50 with the word loft.

Anywho, remember when I said I just want a WHOLE bedroom and in-unit washer and dryer... you all KNOW that's not true. Below find a list of things I found out I ALSO want. And note, these aren't non-negotiables, but when you see a building with a rooftop deck for the same price as one without it, it does something to you. I also can't justify paying more money for less square footage if something like heat isn't included. I didn't know I wanted these things until I saw them.

I blame an economy where competition is encouraged. LOL! Here they go: I want:

- A building with amenities (rooftop deck, party room, fitness center, etc.)
- At least 700-800 sq ft - Closet space
- Heat included
 - A defined kitchen
 - Hardwood floors
- A good deal
- An honest landlord

Have you been apartment searching lately? Were there things you didn't know you wanted that came up on the search?

I have a funny little story about "a good deal" and an "honest landlord" coming up tomorrow.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The only thing I didn’t want was roaches. Lord…I was freakin TERRIFIED. You never know until you’re there. I remember seeing a dead one in the kitchen cabinet the day I moved in and I freaked! I bought some Max Force Roach Bait (great reviews but thank GOD I never had to use it *knocks on wood*) in preparation and of course some good ol’ boric acid. But the roaches never came. My landlord obviously didn’t clean well. *side eye* I’m kinda afraid to move now cuz I don’t wanna run the risk of having critters (plus, my rents good considering I live in a desirable area). The amount of space now I have is perfect really. My bedroom is a nice size. I have a queen-sized bed AND still have walking room—woot! I was looking at places a few months ago but couldn’t find a better deal. Rents have gone up and I couldn’t justify the expense. Plus, if I get a bigger place I’ll be tempted to buy more stuff and I don’t really need that. Anywho, I’m assuming it’s gonna be hard to find a place with hardwood floors w/rec rooms because most buildings with hardwood floors are vintage. But if you find some, let us know which areas to look in! A lot of these newer places with amenities are poorly built compared to the older buildings. I can just look at the exterior of some places and tell they’re crap. Best of luck to you in your search. I didn’t search as extensively as I could have but it was definitely harder for me to find what I wanted (for a decent price) compared to last year.

kris_ said...

I've had my share of apartment hunting and yes I did find a few things I didn't really bother to include in my list. One of them being a balcony. I really didn't need one and I hated the idea that the apartment didn't have a washing machine and dryer so I had to go out of the apartment to do my laundry.

Kate said...

Searching for a new apartment can be a daunting task. You need to take account of extra accommodations including the size, location, renting fees and features. So, it is important to decide first about what kind of apartment you prefer. Creating a list, just like what you did above, can be very useful.

Kate Morgan