Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Singles Night

You all know I'm open to doing all kinds of things in search of love. The Essence Dating Challlenge (which was a fail) speed dating (which was a set of interesting fails), Match.com (cyber-fail) and a hosts of other [so far failed] tactics.

I'm a firm believer that I'm not going to meet my husband by sitting at home on the couch, so I have to put myself out there, be open to love from different places and try new things.

So... there's a grocery store in my neighborhood called Marketplace. Their selection is small and their prices are high AND Trader Joe's just came to the neighborhood. In order to innovate they've done a ton of things.

- They boast the largest organic produce section in the neighborhood
- They have grocery giveaways
- They have wine tastings
- They have Singles Night *record scratch* WHAT?!?!?!

What exactly does "Singles Night" look like at the grocery store. As much as I would like to believe that I can meet my husband at the grocery store, I have never met a man there. Then I think what type of desperate person would go to a singles night at a grocery store and what will said desperate person think of me if I go.

What are we going to do? Test the freshness of the cantaloupe? Discuss the benefits of eating Wheaties vs. Special K? When I heard the idea it seemed completely asinine to me, but I can't say that I'm wasn't intrigued.

So what do you all think happened? Do you think I went? If you were single, would you go to a "Singles Night" at a struggling grocery store?

I'll tell you more after I get some answers to these questions.

4 comments:

South Loop Social Light said...

The problem isn't that the grocery store is having a singles night, it's that you're describing it as "Desperate" in your mind before you've even given it a chance.

There's nothing more "desperate" about a grocery store than could be said of online dating or even speed dating. In actuality, none of those things are desperate. They're just options for people that want to take relationships, dating, and meeting people into their own hands.

If the grocery store is by my house I would probably go to check it out, meet what I would assume to be local singles in the area, and have blog fodder. Thinking outside the box and trying new things is a fun way to live life. I mean, what would you prefer - - to meet your future boyfriend/husband at a sweaty, overpriced club? lol...

I'm hoping you went... at the very least you could get some grocery shopping done and I know you're all about being productive lol.

Unknown said...

I don't believe in dating...as it's often describe in popular culture and media. I don't like to think of fun things as events that I have to stress out about and I prefer to meet people naturally (I don't think it's a coincidence that that's how my best relationships formed). That being said, if doing these things are how you approach dating, I don't see anything wrong with an event at the grocery store. In fact, I'd prefer it over a lot of other venues. How pretentious can you be in a grocery store? Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

ThummyB said...

I say go!

I think that you will me the more 'eclectic' type, but that might not be a bad thing.

ThummyB said...

*meet