Thursday, March 29, 2012

Boston Observations

Here are some things I noticed about Boston...

It's affluent - I only saw one homeless person the entire time I was there and I ventured around their downtown a bit. Everyone I saw roaming the streets also looked like they could have been on their way to a lunch meeting. I seriously saw no signs of poverty, impoverished living or even just hard times. Maybe it's a front, but I'm feeling like the entire city is swarming with folks who are loaded.

It's ALWAYS on camera - I feel like I've been to Boston before. That's because about a million movies I've seen focus on Boston. If you go and you've never been, it'll feel like home.

There are no revolving doors -It occurred to me that Chicagoans deal with the cold, but we don't like it. This is why we have revolving doors. We don't even want to shiver when someone comes in from the cold. Perhaps folks from Boston like the cold because I didn't see one revolving door there. Meanwhile it's 40 degrees and/or snowing and if I'm at the bar everytime a new person comes in the back of my next freezes. A city with so much history and such affluent people should invest in some weather controlled doors.

People walk around like they got an S on they chest - Apparently, by law, pedestrians always have the right of way. That's quite apparent as they walk into the street like geese in Oak Brook and people stop.

Discounting Liquor is illegal - Hence happy hour and bottomless mimosas at brunch is a no-go. A true tragedy .

People don't visit in the winter - Folks kept hitting me with the "Why are you here now? Come back in the summer"... sounds like another city I know and adore.

It's small - Boston can best be described as a great "town," but it's not really a city. It's smaller than Philly. Being from the Chicago suburbs and living in the city now it's really weird to be somewhere were EVERYTHING is less than 20 minutes away. To get from the far south suburbs to the far north suburbs in the Chi could take you two hours in no traffic, three if there's a home game that day (any team, any sport). It feels very much like a college town, which it is.

It's international - Due to Harvard and Boston College (and perhaps businesses in the area) there are SO many folks there from all over the world. It's a different type of diversity than Chicago or New York, but interesting to observe.

There's no fast food - I seriously did not see a McDonald's or a Wendy's while I was there. This would have been cool if I wasn't drinking so much. I've never wanted fries so bad in muh life. We ate at Pinocchio's pizza one night. That's how bad it was. I guess affluence and McDonald's don't mix unless you have stock in the company... maybe. I don't know.

Did I miss any other Boston observations?

No comments: