Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Happy Lenten Season

This year for Lent, I'm giving up TV. 40 days and 40 nights with no housewives, no sitcoms, no SNL, no Bulls games, no March Madness, no awards shows, no HGTV, no Say Yes to the Dress. *wails*

When I first started writing this blog I don't think I watched very much TV. I really don't even think I had cable, but that was before all of the drama-laden reality shows and Twitter entered my lifespace. Oh, how I love to talk crazy on Twitter about people with problems that are faker than their eyelashes and hair weaves.

Their fake problems take me away from my #realissues for 30 to 60 minutes at a time. But, that TV addiction, if you will, is taking away from time I could be using to enrich my life (prayer, meditation, reading, catching up with friends, going to cultural events, sometimes sleeping). The list goes on an on.

So except for news programming, my TV will not come on during Lent and I'm going to make the commitment to pray daily (which I pretty much do already, but it helps to be accountable) and to take the time out to pray especially when I want to turn on the television.

I think it's going to be a phenomenal 40 days and nights and I hope to come out a better person when it's all over.

What are you giving up for Lent this year? Let's encourage each other in the Lord!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Not giving up anything for Lent, but I gave up social media for the new year. Twitter was the last to go. I don't miss it, really. Well...I don't miss being a participant. I still read timelines for information.

Next to be whittled down is my internet usage. That's gonna be a hard one, but with social media gone I'll be forced to find other things to do. Like you, I feel the need to free up time for other activities. I've been entrenched in the internet for too long. I need real-life interaction. I think in 10 years we'll see how all this electronic involvement has negatively affected society. I'm trying to reverse what it has done to my socializatio skills.