Thursday, January 12, 2012

Q4 2011 Update: December

In December I skipped:

3. Friday nights at the club (This was mostly due to money, but also due to an attitude change. I just didn't think it would be any fun. And rather than scrape up a couple of dollars to get cute, drink and cab home, I figured my free couch was a better - and warmer - look.)

4. Buying a new purse. I'm sure this has come up all year. I carried a laptop bag that was literally holding on by a string to work and on the weekends I carried this free bag I got from H&M's grand opening in Chicago. (Don't front like you don't still use that bag). I do not feel very much like a diva carrying these makeshift handbags, but this is the sacrifice I had to make. UPDATE: This paid off because I got a Macy's gift card for Christmas and I ran RIGHT to the handbag section and bought something I can afford. It's pretty darn cute if I do say so myself.

5. Shopping, man I didn't go to the club, but I did kick it. Holiday parties, HOUSE PAR-TAYS and NYE... I.didn't.buy.anything. Let me tell you about this genius plan I had though: I went shopping in Big T's closet. She has so many clothes. A dress here, a cardigan there and a couple of accessories really made me feel like I extended my wardrobe.

6. On December 21st at 5 p.m. The Limited put all of their holiday stuff on sale for 50% off until midnight. 7 hours of online sales and despite all the girls at the gig buzzing about it, I bought nothing AND I WANTED TO BUY SO MUCH. Man, if that's not discipline, I don't know what is. *sigh*

My unexpected expenditures were:
f. Cabs - I don't know what's going on, but I'm about tired of waiting on the bus stop and when I'm ready to be somewhere quickly, a cab it is. In the course of a week in December I took like 10 cabs, who [on a budget] does that?

Side note: For the first time in a long time, I really want a car. I'm not buying a car though. It's a depreciating liability and besides getting somewhere 5 minutes quicker, the cost benefit analysis doesn't justify the purchase for me right now. Stay tuned [into my life] though. I'll give it a year, maybe two before I break down and get one. The bus (or a cab) is just not the groove some days.

g. I went over my Christmas cash budget by about $100 and charged a gift or two. I vowed to pay it back within 30 days though to prevent finance charges. Who thinks I did that?

No comments: